10 Different Types of Students you'll Meet at Uni
By Emmanuel - Read time: 3 mins - 13th Feb 2018Uni Life
Image Credit: Pixabay
Scientists have often tried to identify the impact social networks have on our lives and their findings are quite interesting. A study published in the Journal of Consumer Research reveals that people who don’t have sufficient friends are more likely to take big financial risks. Another study published by the University of Edinburgh Business School tells us that having an abundance of friends through social media connections is likely to cause you more stress.
The bottom line is that friends undoubtedly have a big impact on our lives and our health. That’s why it’s so important to choose them wisely - especially when you’re just commencing uni. Here are the 10 kinds of students you’re most likely to run into. To befriend or not: that is the question.
1. The Gap Year Return - Someone who has most likely returned after spending an entire year travelling around some parts of the world. They’ll most likely be wearing sport clothes and bracelets picked up from all corners of the globe, smoke rollies, and talk about hitting the road again.
2. The Responsible Student - May have been either a head boy or girl at school. They dress up in clothes that look quite similar to their school attire, and they look forward to becoming leaders of some sort at uni. These ones play by the rules and don’t share notes. Ever!
3. The One Who’s Too Stoned to Notice Anything - You can pick them out from a group by their unkempt hair, bloodshot eyes, and overconfident or extremely relaxed attitude. They can’t talk much about their background or even remember what they did the previous day, but they’ll most likely wonder where all their student loan has gone.
4. The Social Media Friend - These ones have a huge appetite for social media. They prefer connecting with you through online networking platforms instead of hanging out with you in person.
5. The Ones Born with a Silver Spoon - Splurge excessively. Don’t hesitate to buy some of the most expensive bottles of bubbly and celebrate with their equally minted mates.
6. The Long-Distance Lover - Always on the phone, too busy on a ‘skype date’ to ever go out, and they spend most of their spare time travelling to meet their long-distance lovers.
7. The Slummer - Wears seemingly ordinary clothes that cost a fortune and tries to fool others into believing that they come from a humble background. They usually get back to their ‘lavish lifestyle’ halfway through the second year.
8. The Sports Enthusiast - Generally hangs out with people who share the same passion. You can identify them by their sporting apparel. They hardly go out with the others and bond very well with their ‘physically fit’ friends.
9. The Environmentalist - Goes all out to save the environment even if means swapping regular deodorant for the organic hemp variety. They’re usually actively involved in environmental conservation programs and go to extremes to protect the planet in any way they can.
10. The Ones Who Study in Secret - Won’t hesitate to ask you out for a drink and tell you how unprepared they are for the upcoming exam. Their grades are nothing short of outstanding.
11. The Guy with the Guitar - Always passionate about music and writes songs that revolve around various social issues. Everyone knows who the guy with the guitar is. Most tolerate him - except for the ones living in the room next to his.
These are some of the most common student types you’ll meet at uni. Just look hard enough through the crowd, and you’ll certainly find the right ones to hang out with.
Originally from Sydney, Emmanuel has been in finance his whole life and excels in anything money related. He has a passion for football and in his spare time you can find him writing on the beaches of the mediterranean while sipping on a frappe.